Bethersden Gardeners’ Society is believed to be the second oldest Gardening Society in England, having been founded in 1886. In 2019 we celebrated our 125th year of annual flower shows. (The shows were not held during the two World Wars.) We used to hold our Summer Flower Show on Bull Green, now the home of the Bethersden Cricket Club. It was a huge annual event in the village which would include fancy dress competitions, athletics races for the children (with some competitions for the adults thrown in), sideshows like coconut shies, catch the rat and many more.
As well as our three regular Shows we hold other events and outings. We try to hold one activity each month throughout the year. The events listed below are an opportunity to meet others in the village and join in the fun. Our events often have speakers and we cover a wide range of subjects, hopefully there is something for everyone.
New members from the village and from surrounding parishes are warmly welcomed. Annual membership is only £3 per person. The children of members do not have to pay an annual membership fee and are eligible to enter most categories in the shows, there are some categories specifically aimed at encouraging children to be creative.
- Discounts at local suppliers (Ripleys’s Garden Centre; Madrona, and Webb’s of Tenterden, Gardenscape (for bulk bag deliveries)),
- Visits to well-known gardens,
- Social Events: An Annual Dinner, Supper Evening with a speaker and a Ploughman’s Lunch with speaker – all great ways to meet people,
- Plant exchanges at the Spring and Autumn shows,
- 3 annual shows to enter or just come along for a chat – there’s usually tea and cake available,
- Talks on gardening and general interest subjects (3 per year)
To Join: Contact [email protected]
To Renew Your Membership:
Members of the Committee will be going door to door in early in the year to collect membership fees, if you miss them they should post a contact number through your door so you can arrange a convenient time for them to return. If this does not happen please email or phone Eleanor (whose details are provided below).
Events in 2020 – all events held at Bethersden Village Hall unless otherwise stated.
- Saturday 11th January at 12.30pm Ploughmans Lunch and talk, on Climate Change and Gardening by Dr Mick Lynn
- Friday 6th March Annual Dinner 7pm 3-course meal £21.00, menu forms available at the Post Office Shop Counter.
- Saturday 6th April, Spring Show and Cheese and Wine Evening with a Quiz, doors open 6.30pm, entries by 7pm. Admission £2 (Bring your own drink and glasses)
- Date to be confirmed, car trip to Hole Park
- Friday 1st Maym. visit by car to Handcock’s Farm Nursery. A good time to buy plants to fill your garden with colour for the Summer
- Wednesday 17th June afternoon visit to Charlotte Molesworth’s Garden by car
- Saturday 11th July, Summer Show (Exhibits received from 9.15am.) Free admission
- Saturday 5th September, Coach trip to RHS Wisley
- Saturday 12th September, Autumn Show, doors open 2.30pm. (Exhibits received from 9.15am.) Free admission
- Friday 9th October, Supper Evening with Speaker, Michelle Emoult – We can’t all be Beekeepers, 7pm.
- Friday 20th November, AGM with Speaker – Neil Miller; Head Gardener at Hever Castle, 7.030pm.
If you are a member and wish to attend for the talk only please contact the Secretary who will let you know what time to arrive.
President: Geoffrey Yeandle
Vice President: Gordon Rye
Chairman: Keith Mitchell
Vice Chairman: Paul Savage
Treasurer: Jim Williams
Secretary: Eleanor Shenton on 07812131408 / [email protected]
Show Secretary: Helen Medlock on 01233 822247 (evenings or weekends)/ [email protected]
Committee: Brenda Millen, Jeanette Jahnz, Sue King, Victor Medlock, Sarah Dacre, Judith Mayhew & Trevor Jones.
Diamond & Golden Jubilee Cup Judges: Paul Millen, Pam Mills, Trevor Jones, Norah and Chris Rushton. Jeannette Jahnz is the co-ordinator. (Nominations to any Officer or Committee Member at any time. You can nominate the whole or part of a garden, even your own.)
Revised Diamond and Golden Jubilee Cup Rules (New for 2018)
- Open to all members of Bethersden Gardeners’ Society
- Golden Jubilee Cup to be awarded for a flower garden/border of merit
- Diamond Jubilee Cup to be awarded for a vegetable/ fruit plot of merit
- Each cup cannot be awarded for the same garden again for the same category until after 5 years have elapsed.
- Winners will be expected to help judge the competition for the next two years for both cups.