Founded in 1886, the Bethersden Gardeners’ Society is one of the oldest Horticultural Societies in England. It used to hold its Summer Flower Show on Bull Green, now the home of the Bethersden Cricket Club. This was a huge annual event in the village when there would be fancy dress competitions, athletics races for the children (with some competitions for the adults thrown in), sideshows like coconut shies, catch the rat and many more.
Shows are now held in Bethersden Village Hall and attract many competitors and visitors alike. It is a thriving Society and enjoys a visit to an RHS garden annually, plus hosting interesting speakers at the AGM. Please see below for upcoming events.
Please invite your friends in Bethersden to join the BGS.
Membership: £3.00 per year.
Advantages of Membership
- Discounts at local suppliers (Greenway’s garden Centre; Madrona, and Webb’s of Tenterden)
- Visits to well-known gardens
- Social Events, a great way to meet the village
- Spring show plant exchange
- Opportunity to enter or just come along to the 3 annual shows.
Contact [email protected]
To Renew Your Membership
Members of the Committee will be going door to door in early in the year to collect membership fees, if you miss them they should post a contact number through your door so you can arrange a convenient time for them to return. If this does not happen please email or phone Eleanor (whose details are provided below).
Events in 2018
- Ploughman’s Lunch with Viv Hunt, the Head Gardener of Godinton House speaking about “Roses, Wisteria and Clematis” on Saturday 13th January, 12.30pm. (This is also your opportunity to renew your membership.)
- Annual Dinner, Friday 9th March,
- Spring Show and Cheese and Wine Evening, Saturday 7th April, doors open 6.30pm, entries by 7pm. Admission £2 (Bring your own drink and glasses)
- Friday 4th May annual visit to the Rare Breeds Centre’s Plant Nursery.
- Saturday 16th June visit to RHS Garden Wisley
- Summer Show, Saturday 14th July, doors open 2.30pm. (Exhibits received from 9.15am.)
- Autumn Show, Saturday 8th September, doors open 2.30pm. (Exhibits received from 9.15am.)
- August: TBC an organised trip to a local garden by car(s).
- Supper Evening with Speaker – Peter Batty, giving his talk about “Animals at War” on Friday 12th October, 7pm.
- AGM with Speaker – Malcolm Withnall talking about “Modern Vegetable Gardening Techniques” on Friday 16th November, 7.30pm.
If you are a member and wish to attend for the talk only please email the Secretary who will let you know what time to arrive.
President: Geoffrey Yeandle
Vice President: Gordon Rye
Chairman: Keith Mitchell
Treasurer: Jim Williams
Committee: Brenda Millen, David Rushton, Jeanette Jahnz, Sue King, Brian Hammond, Kath Hammond, Sue Chisholm, Victor Medlock, Sarah Dacre & Paul Savage.
Diamond & Golden Jubilee Cup Judges: Jeannette Jahnz, Anna Green, Cath Fensom, Lesley Rye and Hazel Ovenden. (Nominations to any Officer or Committee Member at any time. You can nominate the whole or part of a garden, even your own.)
Revised Diamond and Golden Jubilee Cup Rules (New for 2018)
- Open to all members of Bethersden Gardeners’ Society
- Golden Jubilee Cup to be awarded for a flower garden/border of merit
- Diamond Jubilee Cup to be awarded for a vegetable/ fruit plot of merit
- Each cup cannot be awarded for the same garden again for the same category until after 5 years have elapsed.
- Winners will be expected to help judge the competition for the next two years for both cups.