Founded in 1886, the Bethersden Gardeners’ Society is one of the oldest Horticultural Societies in England. It used to hold its Summer Flower Show on Bull Green, now the home of the Bethersden Cricket Club. This was a huge annual event in the village when there would be fancy dress competitions, athletics races for the children (with some competitions for the adults thrown in), sideshows like coconut shies, catch the rat and many more.
Shows are now held in Bethersden Village Hall and attract many competitors and visitors alike. It is a thriving Society and enjoys a visit to an RHS garden annually, plus hosting interesting speakers at the AGM. Please see below for upcoming events.
Please invite your friends in Bethersden to join the BGS.
Membership: £3.00 per year.
Advantages of Membership
- Discounts at local suppliers (Greenway’s garden Centre; Madrona, Hall’s Court and Stone Green Nurseries; Webb’s of Tenterden)
- Subsidised visits to well known gardens
- Social Events and a great way to meet the village
- Spring show plant exchange
- Opportunity to enter or just come along to thee annual shows.
Contact Eleanor Shenton, 07812131408
Email: [email protected]
Our Quarterly Newsletters
Spring 2017 (1)
Events in 2017
- Spring Show & Wine & Cheese Evening: Saturday 8th April (Doors at 6.30pm, Entries by 7.00 pm).
Bethersden Village Hall. Bring your own Wine. Admission £2.
- Visit to the Rare Breeds Centre: Friday 12th May (Evening).
- Visit RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show: Thursday 6th July.
- Summer Show: Saturday 15th July (Doors at 2.30 p.m). Bethersden Village Hall. Free Admission.
- Autumn Show: Saturday 9th September (Doors at 2.30 pm). Bethersden Village Hall. Free Admission.
- Visit to the Sussex Prairie Garden: September (exact date TBA).
- Supper Evening: Friday 13th October (7:00pm) Bethersden Village Hall.Speaker: Peter Batty “Animals at War”. Tickets sold in advance.
- Annual General Meeting: Friday 17th November (7.30 pm) Bethersden Village Hall.Speaker TBC: Alison Laws “Farm Aid in Africa”.
President: Mr G Yeandle
Vice President: Mr G Rye
Chairman: Mr J Williams
Vice-Chairman: Mr K Mitchell
Secretary: Ms E Shenton (07812131408 / [email protected])
Show Secretary: Mrs H Medlock (01233 822247 / [email protected])
Committe: Mrs J. Buckman, Mrs B. Millen, Mr D Rushton, Mrs J Jahnz, Mrs S King, Mr B Hammond, Mrs K Hammond, Mrs S Chisholm, Mr V Medlock & Ms R Orchard.
Diamond & Golden Jubilee Cup Judges: Jeannette Jahnz, Julian & Anna Green, Sue & Ruari Chisholm & June Webb, Frank & Cath Fensom